Little by little…

Little by little I will get things done… that’s how I’m going to handle this holiday season.  Yes, I started to decorate but yet I still have half empty boxes sitting in my living room waiting for me and I’m not sure if Dennis has even given a thought to outside yet.  Seems like I have been making holiday cards for weeks now but only last night did I finish the “official” family Christmas card.  It was only like the sixth or seventh version that I eventually settled on but I’m very happy with how it turned out.
Another thing of happiness is the finished product of a project that has only taken a year to come to fruition- the Advent Tree. It started when I found this Advent Tree at Christmas Tree Shop last year.  It wasn’t the prettiest thing but it was a good price (common theme in my purchases) and I saw potential.  It was a plastic tree form with twenty-four little cubbies that housed boxes which were filled with (very yucky) candy.  I had the idea to take apart one of the ugly boxes, scan it, trace it in SCAL and cut new boxes that were more pleasing to the eye.  So one year later, I finally got that done as well.
It was a good reminder of how versitile Sure Cuts A Lot can be.  No money spent, I created a replica of the patern needed to cut the boxes by scanning the original.  It works best with a dark color when scanning so I blacked out the box with a marker and highlighted the egdes that needed cuts with a white pen.  That allowed me to create a .scut file which I saved for future use.
Here’s one of the original “ugly” boxes…

And the same box broken down and blackened… (notice where I put the white lines)
Here’s the finished product…

Leave a Reply